Love And Peace Energy
Over the years, I’ve heard people say that guilt is the
necessary emotion that keeps us from hurting each other
or that anger motivates us to change. I disagree. I believe
that love is the most powerful force. Love is what actually
keeps us from hurting each other. Love is what motivates
us to create positive change.
When people we know and care about die or suffer
grave injury or if we suffer grave injury, we might ask why.
Perhaps with great emotional angst, “Why?” Asking the
question implies that there is an answer. But we experience
our stages of grief and, in the end, find that there is no
answer. It just is. Yes, we can analyze the catalyst in the
situation—a drunk driver, a mix-up in medications, an
assault. Why did a drunk driver appear just at that moment?
Why was an intern in charge of medication disbursement
that day? Why did the assailant choose to be in that location
at that time? In truth, we cannot know.
We are left to accept what is, and we can take action
to assuage our grief: We can mobilize our society for
greater awareness about drunk driving. We can attempt to change the laws about interns disbursing medications in
our hospitals. We can work to have our communities hire
more police or ban guns. Yet even those good causes will
not change what is: your loved one is gone; your friend or
you are in the hospital with a serious injury. To resist that
reality is to live in an emotional pain that can be longer
lasting and more devastating than the physical pain.
I was a young adult in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I
identified as a pacifist. I marched against war in Vietnam,
and I was angry at the military and all the men who ran my
country, the United States of America. I was not living in
unconditional acceptance. I believe the marches for peace
played a significant part in ending the Vietnam War, but
those marches did nothing to end my personal, internal
war. I had no peace inside of me—even when the Vietnam
War ended.
Peace Energy
Resistance to war, like resistance to anything, energizes
what we resist by focusing our attention on it. Putting our
energy into resolving internal conflict, creating inner
peace, establishing peace in our communities, teaching
compassionate understanding in our schools and other
institutions, and supporting organizations such as the U.S.
Institute for Peace and the InternationalInstitute for Peace that seek to settle conflict nonviolently are the solutions to
ending crime, violence and war.
Here’s an example of something that I imagine most
Americans have experienced: Over the years and on
numerous occasions when I would call to speak with a
member of the customer service department at my bank,
gas and electric company, credit card company, cable
television company, or other major entities on whom I
rely for my daily living, I would find myself waiting an
inordinate amount of time, listening to repetitive recorded
messages, and sometimes getting disconnected after being
on hold for a very long time. The powerlessness I felt used
to infuriate me!
I began the process ofchangingmy response to situations
like this when I started whittling away at my beliefs that I
was ―insignificant‖ and, thus, unworthy of prompt attention.
As I altered my thinking and acknowledged my self-loving
intentions, I began to appreciate myself more. And as I
did this, I stopped allowing people, including myself, to
mistreat me.
As my self-concept changed and my self-esteem rose, I
became more and more uncomfortable with psychological
pain and more aware that I wanted and could choose to feel
peace. So, when I found myself needing to make a phone
call to one of those corporations, I would remember that I
would, most likely, have a long wait time and I began to put my phone on the ―speaker‖ setting so that I could continue
to check my e-mails, read my book or tidy my house. If,
once again, my phone call would be disconnected, I would
just peacefully redial and continue to do what I wanted or
needed to do.
Could I have done this earlier in my life? Not really. At
that earlier time, I didn’t have the emotional foundation I
needed to think aboutmyself in a caring way and to take the
actions that would make life easier for me. I had to do the
growth work first. I am truly grateful for how I take care
of myself now… as well as forspeakerphones.
Maybe you experience outrage over having to wait a very
long time to speak with a customerservice representative.
Maybe your outrage is caused by a completely different
set of beliefs. Maybe you believe that you, of all people,
shouldn’t have to wait while someone whose time, you
deem, is less valuable than yours takes his or hersweet time
to respond to your call?
My example of feeling insignificant of timely assistance
and the above example of feeling overly important are
extremes on the continuum of beliefs that keep us locked
into upsetting emotional states. Once we create a more
loving relationship within ourselves, we are more capable
of choosing unconditional acceptance of what is, which
fosters peace and allows us to choose actions that create peacefulness, like finding something worthwhile to occupy
our time while we are waiting on hold.
Post a Comment