Calmness Energy
The energy of unconditional acceptance is calm. When
you are calm, your emotions are not being blown this
way and that by things like the nightly news or by a story
your friend tells you about an injustice at her workplace.
You do not get upset, threatened or angered. You don’t
take things personally even though they might affect you
personally.
It isn’t that you don’t care, but that you hear news
and drama stories in a different way—without feeling
emotionally walloped by them. Because you are not clouded
by emotionalreactions, you are able to respond with clarity
rather than reactwith judgment. Acceptingwhat is, without
judgment, allows you to have a choice about how you
respond, which includes the option not to do anything.
Over the years, I’ve had a number of friends ask me how
to handle various situations that were going on for them
at the time. You might have had this same experience. I
learned that, even though I offered advice that each friend
said ―made sense‖ and was ―the best way to go,‖ when they
were in the moment of action, they handled theirsituations
differently than what I had suggested. Sometimes they’d
call me up afterward to relate the outcome. They would
report that they didn’t handle the situation as they had
intended, that they had no idea why they wound up saying words that ―just slipped out,‖ or that they somehow just
couldn’t say or ask for what they had planned.
Rather than feeling insulted that my friends didn’t take
my advice, I learned that each person’s experience is his or
her own potential learning opportunity. I came to realize
that maybe this friend will need to use this experience to
delve deeper into why they believed they could not say or
ask for what they needed at this time. I began to understand
that I cannot change in others what I think needs to be
changed. I can only provide them with, and be a model of,
non-judgment, unconditional acceptance and love. I can
only accept what is—and who they are or were at that
moment. Accepting ―what is‖ means accepting the fact
that we cannot change another; we can only change our
selves. Should you feel insulted by a friend not following
the advice you gave them, use your feeling as a signal and
an opportunity to look into and resolve any self-blaming
beliefs.
Each time we are not calm, we have the choice to
explore, through unconditional acceptance, why we are
not. We can ask: ―How do I move from non-acceptance
to acceptance?‖ Actually, the first step to acceptance is
to accept that we are not in acceptance. Next, explore the
beliefs we have about being in non-acceptance. Do we
believe that non-acceptance is the necessary energy needed
for us to take action toward change? If so, question this belief. Ask yourself, ―Is non-acceptance the energy that
actually energizes my actions?‖ Or, ―Could it be that love
and caring are really my motivators?‖
Post a Comment