Love And Sorrow
Before I was old enough to resolve the judgmental, selfblaming
beliefs that caused my pain, I had no concept of
true peace. I found numbness to be normal and familiar. A
seemingly painless place, numbness kept all my suffering
away but it also prevented me from experiencing all
feelings, including happiness. I’d heard it said that we don’t
miss what we’ve never had, but peace and joy were so far
removed from my consciousness that I didn’t have a clue
that it was possible for me to experience those beautiful
emotions.
When we don’t have the tools to face our pain, we numb
out. There are many ways to do this: through psychological
dissociation and activities such as eating disorders, drugs,
alcohol,self-mutilation and thrillseeking; through excessive
work, sex, exercise, shopping, gambling or hoarding;
through anti-social behaviors like stealing, cheating, lying,
fighting or abusing; or by becoming abused, accident-prone
or repeatedly victimized.
For me, coming out of numbness was a slow and steady
exploration of painful memories and feelings. At first,
I had to get through my anger about having to face my
past and accept that it just wasn’t going to go away on
its own. Certain problems at that time brought me into
therapy, but my original pain—the beliefs and emotions
embedded into my unconscious—continuously brought me
into relationships and situations that caused me to replay my early abuse. Then I needed to get through the additional
anger and sadness I held about being mistreated, along with
the shame and self-blame from thinking I was less than
others because I had been mistreated.
Once the bulk of that work was done, I still had one
last challenge—to allow myself to feel those foreign,
uncomfortable feelings called peace and joy. As I released
all of my self-blaming beliefs and emotions, peace and joy
began to bubble forth. This new and strange sensation was
uncomfortable at first but eventually became familiar and
enjoyable
My small, daily choices changed. I began to move away
from abusers and gravitate toward new friends with whom
I shared easy-going experiences. I was in joy—enjoying
myself. Islowly got used to that new feeling, but even more
importantly, I began to identify myself as a happy person,
a peaceful person. I began to choose peaceful situations
over conflicted ones. Pain became a history that I learned
to appreciate but with which I no longer identified.
Yes, I am who I am because I had those earlier
experiences, but today I no longer feel like a person who
had such a history. I look back at my life experiences with
great appreciation—my difficult experiences were gifts,
opportunities to change my identity from thinking I was
horrible to knowing myself as unconditionally loving and
innocent.
At one point, when I was studying the teachings of A
Course in Miracles, I ran across a concept that teaches, ―In
my defenselessness my safety lies.‖
15 When we know our
innocence, we no longer feel the need to defend. If we’ve
made a mistake, we take responsibility for it rather than
making excuses. If we didn’t make a mistake and have been
unjustly or mistakenly accused, we know that the other
person’s blaming words and actions say more about them
than about us.
Because our defensiveness is connected to our belief in
self-blame and because ―like energy attracts like energy,‖
we wind up creating what is commonly known as ―a selffulfilling
prophecy.‖ When we take actions based on a fear
belief, the decision we make carries that fear energy and
that energy manifests or draws to itself the very thing of
which we are afraid.
Life is much more complicated when we carry around
self-blaming beliefs and much easier when we take the
steps to correct these mistaken beliefs and uncover our
innocence and our joy. Remember that, when we correct
our mistaken beliefs, we no longer have to suffer the pain of
defensiveness and our life moves forward with less conflict
and more peace
Post a Comment